Learn how to crochet the Linked Double Crochet Stitch with this complete photo & video tutorial by Nana’s Crafty Home!
The Linked Double Crochet Stitch is a fabulous (and simple!) variation of the double crochet stitch which links dc stitches together creating a more dense fabric without the holes. Perfect for blankets or wearables – anything you want fewer gaps in the stitches.
The Linked Double Crochet Stitch is a great stitch for when you want the look of single crochet yet want your project to grow a little faster. In fact, this stitch actually looks like stacked single crochet stitches!
I will be releasing a new design in the next few days – the Luxe Boho Christmas Stocking. While working on the design I really wanted to use a stitch that wouldn’t have as many gaps but would still work up pretty quickly. I tried several different stitches before deciding on the Linked Double Crochet Stitch – and it really worked out perfectly! Be sure to check back in the next few days for that pattern!
See the complete video tutorial below. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get notified whenever I post a new video.
To get free crochet patterns and get notified of future giveaways, sign up for my newsletter. I never share or sell your information to third parties — it stays private!
If you make any of my designs and share on Social media be sure to add #nanascraftyhome so I can see your amazing creations!
You may also like the following free stitch tutorials at Nana’s Crafty Home:
Linked Double Crochet Stitch Photo Tutorial with Written Pattern Instructions
Supplies shows in photos & video:
Gnome Crochet Hook by Clay & Fiber Co – soooo cute!!
*This post contains affiliate links. You can click on any yarn or material highlighted to purchase. I will receive a small commission if you purchase but it won’t cost you any extra!
ch = chain
LDC = linked double crochet
st = stitch
yo = yarn over
beg = beginning
Linked Double Crochet (LDC): insert hook into horizontal bar of previous stitch from top to bottom, yo, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook into next st, yo, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), yo, pull through 2, yo, pull through remaining 2 loops.
Note: To make 1st LDC at beg of row, ch 3 and treat 2nd ch from hook as the single vertical thread, yo and pull up a loop & continue.
Multiple: ch any number of chains + 3 for the foundation ch
Time needed: 1 day.
Linked Double Crochet (LDC) Tutorial
- Insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, yo, pull up a loop
- skip next ch, insert hook into 4th ch from hook, yo, pull up a loop
- yo, pull through 2 loops on hook,
- yo, pull through remaining 2 loops. (1st LDC made)
- (Next LDC) Insert hook into horizontal bar of previous stitch just made,
- yo, pull up a loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook into next st, yo, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook),
- yo, pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through remaining 2 loops.
- Repeat to the end of the chain or throughout the remainder of your row.
- Additional rows: Turn, ch 3, insert hook into 2nd ch from hook, yo, pull up a loop,
- insert hook into next st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through 2 loops, yo, pull through remaining two loops.
Continue working LDC in each st or as indicated in pattern.